Self Portrait

For my portrait I chose photo-realism, for multiple reasons.
First of all, I love the style in general; the purpose of creating a realistic photograph using paint is incredible, and the time/effort that is put into the tiny details really pays off, as I notice these details when observing artworks.
Second of all, I studied this art style for a presentation, which made me more interested in the artwork. I would stare at the artworks using this style and try to find brush strokes while creating the presentation. It made me realize how much thought people put into making their artworks.

This art style also connects with my personality, as I love clean and pixel perfect design. When I create web designs, I often tend to pay too much attention to detail: even if something were a pixel off from where it should be, I would want to fix it (just look at my blog design for example). Same idea goes for photo-realism, except it’s related to painting, and the detail that comes from that. That is how this art style relates to my design personality.

Of course, I’m not the best when it comes to painting, so creating super detailed paintings is hard for me. Because of this, I simplified the portrait a bit, and changed the levels of light. This created some extra elements of design, such as strong contrast and a different texture. Most color was also removed (black and white effect) and more rectangular shapes were created. Lines were purified and corrected, making the photograph cleaner. Those are the main elements of design that I was focused on in this portrait.

Over all, I was quite happy with how the portrait turned out, with a quick photo-shoot and successful editing.

Comments

Post a Comment